Tuesday, February 22, 2011

First Week of Classes

On Saturday Jess, Nikki and I took the bus to Mooloolaba and went to the Beach for the first time! We met two 14 year olds on the bus and they showed us around the city to the beachside shops and cafe's. Mooloolaba Beach was seriously the most beautiful beach I've ever seen! I got to walk in the Pacific Ocean and feel the waves! I know I'll see beaches all the time here, but the first one did not disappoint! It was so hot though, we had to be in the water most of the time. It was very busy on a Saturday but fun to people watch. The teenagers wear this weird sunscreen that is colorful and looks like warrior paint... kinda wierd but it is the cool thing to do I guess. We will definitely be back!!

Once again, it continues to rain with some sunshine in between. Nikki and I have been spending lots of time over at Varsity, the other housing complex for Uni students. Jess and Tahlia live there and we have gotten to know their room mates well as well as some people from Missouri, Canada, Germany, Sweden and Norway. The Varsity complex is set up differently than Unicentral. It is more closely packed and includes aircon and a beach volleyball court as well as two pools and a small (and ancient looking) work out room. Nikki and I seem to have met friendlier people there than where we live so we don't mind spending time there too.

I started classes this week! In Australia a full course load is 3 or 4 courses. Compared to UND, this is crazy light! I am used to atleast 5 classes. Each class has one lecture and one tutorial (tute) a week. It is so nice compared to normally having classes 2 or 3 times each a week. It is difficult to sit through 2 hour lectures here but professors are pretty good about giving a ten minute break between hours. They also prefer to be called by their first name... seems so informal compared to what I'm used to. Monday and Tuesday I have one class only and then Wednesdays and Thursdays I have 3 each. Not too bad! I'm taking health and developmental psychology along with intro to indigenous Australia and a counselling for the human services professional course.

This week though most of our tutes don't start so it hasn't been too stressful. The format of classes is definitely different though because I am so used to having many exams throughout the semester and then a final and the occasional paper. Here, Most of my assignments are essays and some classes  have a multiple choice and short answer final. Not sure if I'll like this set up better or not. I guess we will see! Being the good student I am, I read all my chapters before hand and am still prepared for class. I can't slack off completely! Some schools accept pass/fail grades from abroad programs but UND doesn't so my grades matter! The grading scale here seems alright though. I don't think I'll have an issue. Writing papers will be different though because they spell some words differently than we do. They use double l's in some words we don't and exchange an s for a z in most words. Hopefully spell check is there for me!

On Friday we are taking a trip to the Australian Zoo, home of Steve Irwin's Legacy and the zoo his family supports. I am so excited to see all the animals and hold a Koala! (note to self: never call them Koala Bears...just koalas or you will get beaten up.) Its fun hearing from Australians the things people from other countries stereotype about them... they don't say Crikey! G'day isn't used as much as you'd think and instead of saying thank you, they say cheers, its alright or no worries. Also, how are you translates to 'how you goin?' I'm still getting used to the slang and wierd words but most Aussies are fine with explaining it to you... and getting a giggle from you not getting it. I'm hopefully going shopping and to the beach this weekend along with the zoo! Then more adventures to come and to plan!

*Me and Jess (yes she is wearing a poncho! haha taco night)

 These are a few pictures of where my accomodation is at Unicentral.



On a side note.... sorry to all of you in MN and ND for the insane amounts of snow you've been getting while I'm basking in the sunshine and 90 degree weather. I do not envy you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment